work-talk appreciated

From: genevieve patthey-chavez (ggpcinla@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 21:56:23 PST

Hey Phillip C. from NZ,

I really enjoyed the little glimpses about your work.
Feel free to write more about putting AT to work.

Been trying to work with a bunch of teachers in
Central Los Angeles (I wrote a little about that
earlier). We (well, I, in any case) are not too
happy with what happens with our adult students
here in Central Los Angeles. What I have been
hearing since I actually started this action
research gig is a lot of frustration. The WRITers
& the MARTians brewed up lists of
concerns/issues over several discussions.
Here is a sample:

Student time for class, study
Student math background, preparation
Cheating
Class Size
Students with too many other priorities
Too little time
Students with stressed out lives
Student absentee rates are too high
Curriculum does not address really low dev. Needs
Lack of coordination & integration across
course-sequences
Inconsistent instruction (course goals)
Civil war in dept
Inadequate support (no support) copies, etc.
Inadequate academic support services (tutoring)
Lack of language skills
Many students enter with a negative/defeatist attitude
(Not only city) An attitude that it is OK to be bad at
math
Students get discouraged by poor results and give up
When am I ever going to use this stuff?
Expensive textbooks

This is brief. No time for more just now ...

Genevieve