smago who-is-at peach is down!

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 14:09:00 PST

Oh well, from peach covered Georgia comes a call from Peter, who has
gremlins in his peachpatch.
mike
-----
>From: Peter Smagorinsky <smago@peachnet.campuscwix.net>
Subject: new book

--=====================_77290038==_.ALT

Some might be interested in a new book, Vygotskian Perspectives on Literacy
Research: Constructing Meaning through Collaborative Inquiry, edited by
Carol Lee and me, from Cambridge University Press. The book emerged from
the Vygotsky conference that Carol and I chaired in Chicago in February,
1996. Details are available at
http://www.cup.org/ObjectBuilder/ObjectBuilder.iwx?ProcessName=ProductPage&M
erchant_Id=1&product_id=0-521-63878-X&origin=search&searchField=AUTHOR&searc
hString=Smagorinsky

CONTENTS
Part I. Paradoxes in Vygotsky's Account of Development: 1.Vygotsky's Two
Minds on the Nature of Meaning, James V. Wertsch / 2. Creativity and
Collaboration in Knowledge Construction, Vera John-Steiner and Teresa
Meehan/ Part II: 3.Dialogic Inquiry in Education: Building on the Legacy of
Vygotsky, Gordon Wells/ 4. Consequential Progressions: Exploring
Collective-Individual Development in a Bilingual Classroom, LeAnn Putney,
Judith Green, Carol Dixon, Richard Duran, Ana Floriani, and Beth Yeager/ 5.
Linking Writing and Community Development through the Children's Forum,
Anne Haas Dyson/ 6. Synchronic and Diachronic Dimensions of Social
Practice: an Emerging Methodology for Cultural-historical Perspectives on
Literacy Learning, Kris Gutierrez and Lynda Stone/ 7. Idiocultural
Diversity in Small Groups: The Role of the Relational Framework in
Collaborative Learning, Peter Smagorinsky and Cindy O'Donnell-Allen/ 8.
Signifying in the Zone of Proximal Development: Literate Cultural
Competencies in Language Minority Classrooms, Carol D. Lee/ 9. Teachers'
Developing Philosophies on Literacy and its use in Public Schools: A
Vygotskian Perspective on Internal Activity and Teacher Change, Arnetha F.
Ball/ 10. Inspired by Vygotsky: Ethnographic Experiments in Education, Luis
C. Moll

Peter Smagorinsky
co-editor, Research in the Teaching of English http://www.ncte.org/rte/
University of Georgia, 125 Aderhold Hall, Athens, GA
30602-7123/smago@peachnet.campuscwix.net/fax:706-542-4509/phone:706-542-4507
/http://www.coe.uga.edu/language/faculty/smago/
The Teaching As Principled Practice Project (TAPPP) Home Page:
http://www.coe.uga.edu/~smago/TAPPP/TAPPP.htm