What am i missing?

From: Nate Schmolze (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 19:55:11 PST

One of the things that drew me to XCMA was what I perceived at the time was
the less confrontational discourse.

I do have to admit though I am a little confused with the message that began
the thread,

"Can anyone who has used activity triangle diagrams in their work tell me
what software or plug-in was used to create and annotate the triangles for
inclusion in a word processing document?"

I am confused how this is not request for help, or how it would be seen as
confrontational. My goal is understanding nothing more.

Kathie mentioned the the politeness of please. For me, please has very
strong class (and racial) connotations such as the yes mam, yes sir
legislation. We tell children to say please because we want to reinforce
some division of power. If I am talking to an equal I would not expect a
please, but that is my frame of reference. So, for me, please would
connotate respect, but not the kind between equals.

I guess what I'm asking for is clarification of what is confrontational,
offensive about the request for info on the activity triangles. To me, it
seemed in line with the various questions that have been thrown out on xcma
over the years.