thanks Kathie

From: vadebonc@montana.edu
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 10:53:57 PST

Dear Kathie -

        I have been, for a while now, breeezing over the conversations on
xmca. After a few interactions initially I am fairly unwilling at this
point to jump in. My experience has been one that has led to the
"electronic cold shoulder" and some disrespectful "teasing." It is too
time consuming to engage when engaging ends in that kind of response.

        I appreciate your candor and the courage of a few writers past that
have asked, demanded that we use our words with caution. We are not face
to face and lack all the other cues for how to understand each other that
we would have in face to face dialogue.

        I can only imagine that it might be discouraging for Mike to have
to step in so often to give us gentle nudges to "play well togther" and
"use our words carefully." I wonder why we need to be told this and why
respect isn't automatic. I understand that we are creating as we go "what
respect looks like" on a list serve. Still I wonder why it seems to be so
difficult to practice and master.

        In any case your courage to challenge is supported and appreciated.
Very much indeed.

Jennifer

Jennifer A. Vadeboncoeur, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Curriculum and Instruction
Montana State University
120 Reid Hall, Department of Education
Bozeman, MT 59717
Office: (406) 994-6457