Re: Origin of phrase "teachable moment"?

From: Dr. Pedro R. Portes (prport01@louisville.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 08:56:02 PST

I first heard it in the late 1980's in ref. to Tharp & Gallimore's book
"Rousing Minds to Life" 1988, in connection with ZPD matching perhaps. The
term seems to have originated before then ???

pedro

At 11:19 AM 2/16/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Does anyone know the origin of the common phrase "teachable moment"? I
>would like to know if there was originally some particular theoretical
>orientation attached--now surely lost in the wide circulation of the term.
>
>David
>
>David R. Russell
>Professor
>English Department
>Iowa State University
>Ames, IA 50011 USA
>(515) 294-4724
>Fax (515) 294-6814
>drrussel@iastate.edu
>http://www.public.iastate.edu/~drrussel/drresume.html

Pedro R. Portes
Professor
Educational Psychology & Counseling
502-852-0630
        0629 Fax

"..the true teacher is that teacher who constructs
 his own educational work not (just) by inspiration,
 but on the basis of scientific knowldege.
 Science is the truest path to the mastery of life. "