Re: Positronic teaching

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 10:37:23 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

        Gary Shank wrote:

>Therefore, in principle, a teacher
>might not ever function as a researcher. But, given the fact that no one
>has been able to create Utopia yet, the task of finding the path to Utopia
>remains open. Given that the second corollary by itself cannot lead to
>Utopia, it seems to be the case that transformation is not just an act of
>teaching but also an act of research by teachers that will lead to better
>teaching. A very Peircean turn, if you ask me.
>
>Thoughts?

        much that you wrote i wanted to respond to, yet, the final statement of
yours reminded me of an earlier posting from last week of Jay Lemke's :

        "I am arguing, I hope it's clear, for more of this kind of bridging
across
social disjunctions as a new research method in the human/ecosocial
'sciences'. It seems to me that it really is a new method, not a simple
transposition of prior research traditions (of course it has antecedents,
everything meaningful must). The trick of it is to imagine a situation in
which certain kinds of people, doing certain kinds of things, who do not
normally interact in these ways, need one another's differences (by
category if it's to become typical; I neglect uniquenesses) for an
emergent
project."

        looking at what both Jay and Gary wrote, i wonder if there isn't a way to
see the practice of teacher as researcher and researcher as teacher.

        as it stands now, there are teachers (k - 12) and teacher educators,
those who teach teachers how to teach. usually teacher educators are
based in research institutions, or "normal" institutions that were
originally set up as teacher education colleges - but in all instances,
teacher to teacher professional communication is screened and vetted
through university research journals and organizations, etc. it is a
strange system, where for a teacher to be able to teach teachers they must
cease being a teacher and move into the _higher_ academic world, and
research and write for the academic world rather than for the teacher.

        more musings .....

phillip