Re: lA contribution to a discussion of practice/process

From: mary bryson (brys@unixg.ubc.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 10:08:30 PST

and interestingly enough, Sara, there are those of us who like it best to
get our hair cut in a barber shop, and yet, for me just to enter into that
terrain is already to have mis-stepped - to have made a faux pas in that COP
where my participation can not be anything but deviant.

so what a lovely example to set us off on a worthy discussion of conditions
of participation

mary

--
Dr. Mary Bryson, Associate Professor, Education, UBC
GenTech Project  http://www.shecan.com

The child has no powers of reflection - no second-order thoughts which deal critically with his (sic) own thinkingŠIn contrast, the adolescent is able to analyze his own thinking and construct theoriesŠOf course, the girls are more interested in marriage, but the husband they dream of is most often łtheoretical˛, and their thoughts about married life as well take on the characteristics of łtheories˛. Jean Piaget (1958) The growth of logical thinking from childhood to adolescence

---------- >From: "Sara L. Hill" <sara.hill@vanderbilt.edu> >To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu >Subject: RE: lA contribution to a discussion of practice/process >Date: Thu, Feb 10, 2000, 9:19 AM >