Re: lA contribution to a discussion of practice/process

From: Paul Dillon (dillonph@northcoast.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 20:31:07 PST

Kathie,

My feeling is that there is no "ourselves" that overlaps all equally on
xmca.

You write, "how can we (and by that I mean xmca) tell someone who insists
that others
are "just plain wrong" that we (and here i presume to speak for some
portion of xmca) don't like that stance or tone or genre or whatever we
want to name it?"

What I tried to indicate in an earlier post is that the collective "we" of
xmca bridges several communities of practice with many different genres that
determine what is an acceptable "stance or tone or whatever you want to name
it." What common community of practice on xmca does every member of xmca
have except for participation in xmca itself? Isn't the basis of that
participation an active interest/pursuit of the range of topics listed on
the MCA website and also on Nate's voting window? Other than that who is
the collective we? Isn't it something in construction by the very
participation here? If it's more, it would be good for that to be made
explicit.

Paul H. Dillon