Re: Kathie hearing voices

From: mary bryson (brys@unixg.ubc.ca)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 09:33:32 PST

I wish I had time to speak adequately to the questions - damn fine questions
- Kathie has raised here. I have just read Phil's comments on Kathie's
questions, and have this to say:

lchc can not ever claim itself to be "inclusive" - a straw state anyhow - as
it is a discourse community based on the recognition of only a narrow range
of participatory forms, moreover, it seems to me not a productive claim,
because to the extent that it is falsifiable, it is easily falsifiable.

kathie asks:
is there some way we,
> as the hodge podge, patchwork community we are,
> can negotiate some
> self-organizing practices that will be more inclusive and supportive
> of all
> who we are?

this seems like really good work to do together, so why don't we dedicate a
week to talking only about this question. a sort of communal self-study.

thanks kathie -

mary (who thinks it is just fine to be interpellated as perverse, btw,
contra phil's comment about lurkers)

--
Dr. Mary Bryson, Associate Professor, Education, UBC
GenTech Project  http://www.shecan.com

To alter efficacy-based futility requires development of competencies and expectations of personal effectiveness. By contrast, to change outcome-based futility necessitates changes in prevailing environmental contingencies that restore the instrumental value of the competencies people already possess. Bandura-- 1977

---------- >From: Katherine_Goff@ceo.cudenver.edu (Katherine Goff) >To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu >Subject: Re: Kathie hearing voices >Date: Sat, Feb 5, 2000, 4:27 PM >