Re: Genre and communities

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 14:01:35 PST

Phillip, I DO see genres as malleable (over time). I also think that the
question of politeness is problematic, because, as you say, agents are also
malleable, shaped by their different histories into more or less rigid, more
or less flexible manners. What is objective here? The effects we have on
others, AND the effects they have on us? Or is it neither; rather, only the
effects on the object that count? Perhaps looking from an activity
theoretical standpoint, there is an object lesson in this. But if it's
simply a matter of where we direct our gaze (at the object/ the text, not at
others) then it's a highly imperfect, in fact maybe the wrong, lesson. I
don't know.
Judy

> paul - to suggest that a genre is malleable surprises me - for me the
>malleablility would be situated within the agent - although i am glad to
>see you write this, for now i have a clearer understanding about conflicts
>between people. it has always surprised me that when it has been pointed
>out to someone that their discourse is rude, and they not only deflect the
>observation, but continue on being rude. now i can understand this
>behavior more clearly, for perhaps there is a different belief about where
>polite behavior resides, or who needs to practice it.
>
>phillip

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183