Re: re subbing

From: Martin Ryder (mryder@carbon.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 23:28:37 PST

Hats off to Doug Williams whose message truely captures the art of
substitute teaching. Three years subbing in Denver's inner-city
schools taught me some essential tricks of the trade:

   1. Teach kids, not subjects.
   2. Be conscious of the things that really matter and those that don't.
   3. Never take yourself too seriously.

Looking back on my 18-year teaching career, I must say that
the most colorful stories and formative encounters were experienced
in my first three years as a 'sub'. Doug's message vividly captures
the creative aspects of that role.

Martin R.