Re: short story reference

From: Paul Dillon (dillonph@northcoast.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 09:39:07 PST

Leigh,

as to the lost messages, mike succinctly stated part of what I had to say
about the kathie's dualistic scheme (oh no, no more wizard stories!). I
also noted how kathie links the different oppositions into a system, in some
respects similar to the ancient chinese yin-yang structure except that here
the yang principle is seen to be the source of silencing, domination, etc
and also forms the basis of an categorical framework that structures
interactive outcomes, a structuration that conceals itself through
ascribing the outcomes to the presence of the yang attributes.

i also meant to tell Eva that I have no formal western philosophical
training, although a lot of times it's hard to draw the line when doing
social theory--i did have classes on foucault and derrida in 1978 and
undergrad philosophy classes. My
formal training is anthropology, latin american studies, and regional
planning. I just happened to like reading philosophy, a habit that I've
never quite outgrown in spite of formal zen training in letting the mental
babble subside . But as rachel says, the poles of these oppositions
constantly change into each other . . .

paul