technology and XMCA

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 18:40:59 PST

I am totally open to invitations to move XMCA to some far away server
that will cut down on the overhead of the discussion and increase the
possiblity of creating some social intelligence martin. Right now, as
you can see, we simply bumble along with help from our friends.

I tend personally to work at the loser end of the game (as in user is
loser) and work through a unix systtem that in unfriendly to attachments.
By keeping my equipment primitive, relative, say, to the equipment used
by some of my colleagues in the sciences, I run into all sorts of
glitches. It helps me to sympathize with my students who feel and are
left behind because that do not know how to log on from home and among
them those for whome the costs appear fearsome.

If there were some way to accomodate many levels of access/expertise
and memory access as well, I am all for it. But as we all realize,
it is the continuity of people that is essential, the overlap
of generations. Which it no reason not to use the best tools you can
come up with!
mike