RE: middle class/intellectual labor

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 18:41:10 PST

Hi Peter and everybody--

Not it does not. I even appreciate what German Nazi done in the area of
promotion health among German population. I mean their well known campaign
for hygiene, against smoking, and so on. So what?

As to the issue of positive aspects of colonization that you listed -- they
are positive aspects. Can they justify colonization? I doubt.

You wrote,
> Does this mean you reject all the work of soviet progressivism
> done by the
> bolsheviks before Stalin's rise to power , like the liberation of women
> from the veil and other forms of oppression in the islamic
> regions?

Stalin "liberated" people from Islam (i.e., banned the religion) not only
from veils. The consequences of this act are complex and multifaceted.
However, it is clear for me that it was very bloody and oppressive process.
It can be fair to say that some types of oppression was replaced with new
types of oppression. The "math" is complicated and depends on who is doing
the calculations... Many voices are silenced forever...

What do you think?

Eugene