RE: lurking and invisibility

From: Leigh Star (lstar@ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 09:08:24 PST

Hi Sara,

That article became Etienne's dissertation, available from University
Microfilms. He got his Ph.D in 1990, I believe, from the Information and
Computer Science Department at the University of California, Irvine. His
latest book, Communities of Practice, covers some of the same territory.

The methods question is a difficult one, as communities of practice/social
worlds are not confined to sites. I think Howard Becker's Art Worlds
(Calfornia, 1982) provides a good model, and his Tricks of the Trade
provides some sound methodological advice in general.

Leigh

Susan Leigh Star, Professor
Department of Communication
9500 Gilman Drive