Re: The internet and disinformation

From: Paul Dillon (dillonph@northcoast.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 11:33:52 PST

Mary,

mention the International Go Server. I learned to play the oriental board
game (Go in Japanese, Wei Chi in Chinese, or Baduk in Korean) in the early
1970s. Since that time I have rarely been able to find many people to play
since it is not common although there are Go Clubs in some of the larger
cities--Seattle, LA, etc.

IGS is an international Go Server on which people of all skill levels
(including professional go players) from throughout the world play.
Since discovering it (in about 1994) I have always been able to get a go
game within about 5 minutes with a person of my skill level (or within the
zone of my proximal go development). This would have been totally
unthinkable even in Go clubs where usually some handicap need be given.
Given that a a very fast game of Go lasts at least 30 minutes (an average of
240 mores=8 moves/minute=speed Go) I find myself spending a lot of time
pursuing this hobby on the internet.

The game Quake and other online interactive games are very powerful forces
for the internet participation of many who aren't into such cerebral
pursuits as Go and who also aren't into the "informational" uses of the
internet (there are also chess servers, bridge servers, etc.). If I had to
go to the internet equivalent of a desert island and could only take one
bookmark, the IGS server might well be it.

Paul H. Dillon