Re: expanding middle/upper (in fact, working) class

From: George McKinlay (mckinlay@unr.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 08:38:38 PST

My favorite definition of middle-class came when one of those wandering TV
reporters in LA asked some person about Im not sure what, and probably
irrelevant, but the white male responded with "I'm a middle class guy who works
for a living..."

If we expand our definition of middle class to "just getting a job" then I
guess the middle class may well be expanding, for the moment.

Then there is that odd little notion that people can "make" money in the stock
market. Delusional to the extreme, If you listen to the dribble coming from
that crowd then you also get the impression that they think they are working
hard...

George McKinlay
Research and Educational Planning Center

Mail Stop 285 University of Nevada, Reno Reno NV 89557 Tel (775) 784-4921 ext 2362 (prefer email to contact) Fax (775) 784-4997 *************************************************