Re: expanding middle/upper (in fact, working) class

From: Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 06:15:29 PST

Eugene,

Thanks for your note. My point wasn't that things have got materially
worse - obviously anyone with two eyes can see that isn't the case, at least
for most people (even including the poor) in the richest countries in the
world. (Though the US still has to develop a basic health care system
accessible to all...) I think also that it's necessary to realise that that
hasn't happened through natural philanthropy and a lot of struggles e.g. of
trade unionists have had to take place for it to become true.

My point that this doesn't mean that we are living in a society where
everyone except a few at each end are becoming middle class. I think Paul
made the point well when he said that this idea is based on the belief that
consumption standards determine class rather than structural economic
relationships. On the basis of consumption perhaps the gap has narrowed as
there is an absolute limit to how much even the very rich can consume
(though it's way beyond what most of us would consider possible or
necessary) and thus the Bill Gates, Carnegies and Rockefellers of the world
usually get round to giving some of their money away.

On the other hand, the recession of the early 90s proved how fragile the
entry to the consumption-defined middle class was for those who either
thought they had a job for life, made too much use of consumer credit or who
had bought houses on mortgages. For some, it's a very short step from the
'middle class' to homelessness. (A recent programme on the Japanese economy
here showed the ex-managers and executives literally standing in the queue
for the soup kitchen, having lost everything when their firms 'down-sized'
or went bust.)

Bruce

>Hi Bruce--
>
>Thanks a lot for very interesting article and discussion. I agree that
>"middle class" is rather murky concept. I remember that in 1989 I was
>helping Barbara Rogoff and her then postdoc Gilda Morelli to collect data
in
>Salt Lake City. I was a camera man while Gilda was interviewing families
>with little kids. I remember that she was asking moms whether they had VCR
>and microwave to define indirectly if a family belongs to "middle class."
At