Re: connotations of language register

From: renee hayes (emujobs@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 13:52:04 PST

Hi Pedro,

You wrote about my comments on language register...

>This last note of yours connects somehow with something I am reading >in
>Valsiner's The Guided Mind...he concludes language "sets us specific limits
>upon the possible ordering of the subjective experiences of the Geist"
>(p273)

Well, of course I can not understand the point fully from an excerpt, so I
hope I am not misinterpreting, but this seems to be, well, opposite from
what I think. I mean, this seems to me kind of suggesting that we are
limited in what we can think, maybe even be, by our lanmguage. I was
thinking that when people have a language that allows for different
registers to indicate interpersonal replationships, they can actually
express ideas more full and complex than those denoted by the language....in
other words, I think people are not limited by the explicit (apparent) scope
of their particular language.

So, Pedro, to really put my cards on the table here, I guess I am
disagreeing with this quote. But very tentatively, perhaps you can sense
this, because I am new to the list and feel kind of shy about that. So
please help me out here by being patient and gentle with my first XMCA
disagreement...:)

Renee