Neighbours

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@ped.gu.se)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 05:13:24 PST

Thanks
for elaborating on my RL and VR neighbourhoods, Martin! Saved me the
trouble :-) And yes, part of me still (poetically speaking, Paul) lives in
Aarhus with all who I met there.

Speaking about my landlord....

At 00.05 -0700 0-01-20, Martin Ryder wrote:
>If your landlord should take the path of neglect with the commons that you
>share, it is not unlikely that you and your neighbor would join together
>to confront his miserly practices.

... I will perform another bit of laziness and recycle a snapshot from the
summer of 98, about what was happening at home while I was in California
over the winter. The "phoney" thingy alludes to a quibbling game I played
with Cathrine and Christine (hi you lurker you) while we were all in SD.
Yes: I was the grumpy one and they the enthusiasts. Surprise?

At 11.09 +0200 98-06-30, Eva Ekeblad wrote to Carol Bond of Dunedin NZ and
Cathrine Hasse of Copenhagen DK:
>"I think I'm getting USA paranoia... The big Gbg housing company Poseidon has
>sold my whole block -- and several others of the more well-kept complexes
>they
>owned -- to General Electric Capital! We had the notice in our mailboxes
>yesterday. Not that I know what the consequences may be, possibly they
>won't be
>very remarkable at all. I just felt sold out anyway... This explains, to me,
>the work that has been done lately on the outdoors environments (and is still
>going on). Some of it good, of course: they are preparing for garbage
>separation/ /recycling, for example. And some of the new stonework (low
>walls)
>seems to be geared to straightening out the drainage problems that have
>always
>caused a huge puddle all across the main path after heavy rains. However, it
>all also has this pinkish and phoney style I didn't like about San Diego
>(well,
>I guess it's post-modern). And they had planted early this spring a huge
>colourful patch of tulips (with a badge-like design) on the outer surface of
>our "hills" -- that evidently was meant to look good in the sales
>pictures. It
>did look good while it lasted, but tulips don't last, and you really don't
>plant a huge patch like that, unless it is mixed with summer plants. It just
>looks like a stubbled gash in the lawn now. They have also taken away the
>funny-looking "amphi-theatre" of seats (+barbecue) on the inside of the
>nearest
>hill, and just smoothed the surface. It was not very aesthetic, but the
>people
>in these houses actually used it a lot in the summer afternoons and evenings
>(immigrants and working class families, not me and the little old retired
>ladies).

OK, I was going to continue, but with so much input from the Martins (and
wondering where's the Jay...) I fell into the stats instead. I've gotta get
on with my day.
Best
Eva