RE: Middle Class Growth

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 20:37:29 PST

Hi Genevieve--

Thanks a lot for the article. It is useful for providing information on
growing gap between rich and poor in California (and I believe in US on
general) in 90s. However, unfortunately I could not find any evidence in the
article about shrinking middle class (maybe I missed something).

The article says,
> In Los Angeles County, a recent United Way study
> discovered a shrinking middle class: nearly half the
> households in 1998 had an estimated net worth of less
> than $25,000, while 34% of households boasted a net
> worth of $100,000 and above. The study found that even
> though the poor were technically making it, they had
> lost considerable ground because of the high cost of
> living and rent.

If my understanding is correct evidence of shrinking involves at least
comparison of percentage of people belonging to middle class (I know that it
is not easy to define it) in past and now. I could not find any reference of
such comparison in the article. I'm afraid that the author might confuse
something in reporting the mentioned study.

What do you think?

Eugene