Re: a quick question

From: Paul Dillon (dillonph@northcoast.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 06:34:46 PST

Eva,

Case and Levin are the principal CEOs and up-front faces on the
AOL/Time-Warner merger--I mentioned them because (1) the AOL/Time-Warner
merger is clearly one of the most concerted moves to "control the internet"
or as they themselves say "capture" and disentangle the internet (capitalism
always breaks up community so I especially appreciated their use of the term
"disentangle" for it's negative play with "weave") and (2) they are the
chief spokemen for the merger. As such, they are now the strongest
representatives of capitalist hegemonic voices on the internet and have
unabashedly expressed their visions for the future of the internet in terms
of increased consumerism.

Here's two blurbs from a net news source:

Steve Case
now: Chairman and CEO, AOL
Later: Chairman, AOL Time Warner

Online boy wonder Steve Case is well-suited to his new post as company
visionary after having captured the minds, hearts and dollars of more than
20 million AOL subscribers. Being fast and nimble - not to mention being
able to revise the business model every couple of months - has gotten his
company where it is today. As Case has taken a less hands-on role, lobbying
in Washington and making speeches, he's now prepared to sit back and think
deep thoughts on the future of convergence and the Internet.

Gerald Levin
Now: Chairman and CEO, Time Warner
Later: CEO, AOL Time Warner

At the new AOL Time Warner, Levin faces both a boardroom full of egos and
the herculean task of meshing the old with the new. While he's earned a
reputation as a shrewd manager, he has failed to deputize a leader within
Time Warner who could have driven the company's Internet strategy. His own
Net track record is not strong: Pathfinder - that smoking mess of a plan -
fell apart, and only one piece of the company's ballyhooed five-hub Internet
strategy has actually appeared, raising questions about what will be
different when he's running the newly combined company.

Sorry if I wasn't more explicit.

Paul H. Dillon