hmmm gremlins

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 14:48:14 PST

Y2K seems to have picked on xmca. Here is a note from done bremme
re mcdermott
mikec

---
To: "'Mcole@weber.ucsd.edu'" <Mcole@weber.ucsd.edu>
Subject: McDermott citation for xmca
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:22:13 -0800
Return-Receipt-To: Bremme Don <dbremme@mail.whittier.edu>

Mike: I used to be able to send messages to xmca but now seem to be admitted on a 'read only' basis. I'd like to be able to respond--what's the secret handshake? Meanwhile, I had cc'd xmca on this to Eugene. Maybe you can put it on for me? Thanks, Don

Eugene & others: You and others interested in this discussion and Ray's work may also want to look at Varenne & McDermott (1999), Successful failure: The school America builds. Boulder, CO: Westview. The book includes a further discussion of 'Adam,' the kid in the "Acquisition of a child by a learning disability," in a chapter called "Adam, Adam, Adam, and Adam: The cultural construction of a learning disability" and "Disability as a cultural fact," along with articles that address other culturally constructed forms of 'failure.' I strongly recommend it.

Don Bremme