RE: What is "development"

From: Chris Francovich (cfran@micron.net)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 08:39:58 PST

Nate:
Here are some of my thoughts on 'development'.

I think that the concept of development should stay rooted in
biology. From there I think it can be useful in understanding
aspects of both psychological and social systems. Where it does
not appear useful in the social sciences is when 'determinism' is
trotted out as a sequella of development (it happened because is
had to happen). I understand development as synonymous with
'grow'. Things do grow.

What it's like to grow, what we grow to, whether we have grown
'right' are all questions that require a shared communicative
space of commonly understood values (as in affordances) but do
not obviate the fact that things do grow or develop. I think that
all the stumbling over the concept of 'development' occurs
because we try to use the concept to clarify the normative issues
that _appear_ to result from the said development.

Sometimes it seems to me that scientists (including social
scientists) ignore the overwhelming fact that we are nested
within a large mystery. We seem to have to be able to 'know' what
and where every border and region lies. It is enough for me to
feel, see, and think about development - and observe that change
is ubiquitous. And now I am at change as a synonym for
(grow(development)). We can grow up or down - development goes in
and out. Sort of the breathing of the universe. We are in this
space. Doing it.

Chris