The "Flynn effect"

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 26 1999 - 15:24:48 PST

Below is the source and part of the abstract of an article by James
Flynn who done extensive work on questions of IQ and nature/nurture.

I came away from reading this article with enormous respect for
Flynn and a better understanding of the issues involved. The
article is well worth searching out. I would post it here if
I could, but that would definitely be unethical, so those
interested will need to get a look from a local library.
    I will try to obtain Flynn's email address if anyone cannot
get access to the American Psychologist which ought to be
pretty accessible.
mike
--------
Flynn, James R.
     Searching for justice: The discovery of IQ gains over time.
   American Psychologist, 1999 Jan, v54 (n1):5-20.
     AT: UCSD SSH BF 1 A55 Current Shelves-Bound in Stacks
                                              1- (1946- ). Currently received.

Abstract: Humane-egalitarian ideals, whose aims are group justice and reducing
     environmental inequality and privilege, must be tested against reality, as
     revealed by psychology and other social sciences. Four issues are
     addressed: the equation between IQ and intelligence, whether group
     potential is determined by a group's mean IQ, whether the Black-White IQ
     gap is genetic, and the meritocratic thesis that genes for IQ will become
     highly correlated with class. Massive IQ gains over time test the
     IQ-intelligence equation, reveal groups who achieve far beyond their mean
     IQs, and falsify prominent arguments for a genetic racial IQ gap.