PS: bricks and CC

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 24 1999 - 13:32:46 PST

My prior message having appeared on the screen, I see that I did not
address Paul's query about the difficulties caused by trying to get
UC-CC collaboration. Incomprehension and derision, lots of fruitless
phone calls and visits. It amazed me to learn that there is a gian
bureaucracy set up to insure maximal transfer from CC's to UC. The
people so employed do not want one of those uppity professorial types
messing with their carefully organized system. From either side. At
UC the people given this task are mostly not academics and don't
respect academic much, although they know when to be polite and
deferential about it. But step over the line and get serious, and its
a great way to learn about institutional self-maintainence.

The big factor that has changed, temporarily, is an over-riding political
need and the fact that a senior professor who can organize to get a few
people's time freed up to work on the problem took an interest. We'll
see what happens.

Enough for now. I'll give xmca a rest until Santa and Ded Moroz have
gotten home and rested... maybe.
mike