RE: want more?

From: Nate Schmolze (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 24 1999 - 04:56:30 PST

Paul,

I think you are asking some very pointed questions, and I don't know the
answers. From my position class has tended to be defined as a pathology
which Walkerdine speaks powerfully to. I am very concerned about this
positioning. Class seems if anything to come from a non-working class
perspectives (e.g conservative, progressives, intellectuals etc.) as in
terms like socioeconomic status. So, in that sense I see references to
"false consciousness" within rather than outside these perspectives.

I think we have a long tradition that is embedded in our constitution and
federalist papers that attempts to negate a class consciousness. Madison
was very explicit who the majority was and what was meant by "evil
fractions". It was workingclass movements like the Shay's rebellion.

Class is complicated because it seems most of the world's diversity is with
the "working" or "peasant" classes. The world's middle and upper class seem
to have a more united psyche. I think it is probally both cultural and a
relationship to wage labor that embeds the psych of the working class. And
as some of the narratives of Freirian dialougue attest to the problem of
their oppression is everything but the capitalist. My point is all this
diversity becomes exploited by those in power(Willie Horton). As one
educator recently shared, she taught a very racist student who celebrated a
Nazi fame of mind, but all the anger was along class not race lines. Race
becomes the sign for an expression of class anger and dissatisfaction.

And Paul, I do appreciate your pointed questions on this topic. If we take
that its a relationship with wage labor as Apple points out there is a long
history of segregation as in putting African Americans on one floor, the
imigrants on another, and whites on still another. This of course embedded a
relationship where the tensions were within the working class itself, rather
than those that exploit their labor. In a metephorical sense it seems it is
important that they be on the same floor so identification is not displaced.

Nate