Re: Teachers as Luddites

From: mary bryson (brys@unixg.ubc.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 21:51:59 PST

> At first I was appalled by the title of Mary's paper. "Teachers as
> Luddites'? I cringed, but in a fraction of a second saw sarcasm directed
elsewhere and not disrespect of teachers.

not sarcasm. the article delves into the Luddites as a means of furnishing
an account of a failure to enthusiastically pick up a new tool that can
usefully be construed as an intelligent form of resistance - an attempt
(that failed) at cultural preservation on the part of the crafts-people
whose labour was threatened by the advent of the mechanized loom. we were
making the point that teachers' resistances to new tools were much like the
luddites' - an intelligent attempt at cultural preservation. likewise doomed
to failure? too soon to tell...

mb