connecting

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 12:43:13 PST

Thank Paul and Diane for your notes in response to my question about
how our theoretical talk relates to what we do professionally. Each
speaks elequently to the issues and shows how you have wrestled with
the problem. When one goes "against the grain" or "against the current"
one meets resistence, and in human societies, marginalization and silencing,
seem to be ubiquitous, although the varieties of concrete systems is
astounding.

I was asking a question that in some ways Diane was saying is a part
of the problem not a part of any solution to the problem of multiple ways
of knowing and the differential authority accorded some voices over others.

Granting the limitations on inquiry of the academic mode, it is one that I
work with/within. The kind of question I was asking was, I think, at the
level that Paul is writing about in the design/evaluation process for a
project which itself, is an attempt at "changing history" as a way of better
understanding it that operates through combinations of the structures that
organize our lives.

        If CHAT has any special virtues as a paradigm of human
sutdies, those virtues must be demonstrable at precisely those
levels/places where we can demonstrate the principles at work.
Otherwise, it can still have the virtue of providing part of a
tookit for making human sense our of human life.

        Concretely, I am very interested in university-
community college linkages. My effort is this direction have
primarily provided me with bricks falling on my head. And this
is deviating just a little from what is proper disconnection.
For your project, Diane, you have to be prepared to work with
bricks falling all around you.
    XMCA is an extraodinarily rich medium for thinking in.
mike