Re: Empathy & science

From: Ricardo Ottoni (rjapias@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 20:40:21 PST

Paul Dillon wrote to Genevieve:

>>> When I see a ball roll on to the other side of the street Iunderstand that the driver: swerved to miss a possible child running
after it. I don't need to know whether the driver was angry, worried,
indifferent or anything else to understand the motive for swerving.
Even If I saw a driver puposely run over the child I still wouldn't need
to empathize to attempt to understand the psychological motives that led
to such asocial behavior.

Would you please precise what you call above 'asocial'?

>>> what could be so special about humans that our behavior, including our emotions, is not be capable of being comprehended in scientific
concepts?

By one side, nothing.
But by another...
ordinary behaviour
like feeling-showing sex hungry - for example,
does not need special habilities to be understood or comprehended...