Re(2): december reading

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 12:19:26 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>It seems to me that, if we want to study emotionally and relationally
>sensitive processes and data, and if we want to understand how these
>sorts of psychosocial phenomena get constituted, we need good analytic
>approaches to them. The art of how people like Margaret represent their
>trauma, the maintenance and perhaps the transformation of processes that
>sustain the impact such trauma has on people, take place in part through
>the sorts of positioning that I am trying to study. If we give up
>working systematically on these sorts of data, we lose an opportunity to
>understand and perhaps intervene.

it seems to me that the "interview" itself reconstituted trauma - and that
this woman would
appeal to institutional authorities for re-telling her story is hardly an
innocent position of "voluntarism" -
part of childhood trauma involves the persistent recreation of the
traumatic experiences
throughout one's life;
the positions and interactions are multiply-layered, of course: but the
only interaction, it seems to me,
that you can - or ought to - account for, is that of theabsent analyst ,
interacting with your own desires
to re-present personal trauma in the contexts of social science discourse
- isn't this a further extension
of institutionalizing this woman's experience?
for whose benefit is this work aiming? perhaps that is not clear to me -

as for trauma being an art - PLEASE. there is no art in suffering, nor in
the ways we recreate sites of
suffering in our lives.
again - how/why is this 'method' positioned in absence of the ways the
context construct the events, including the event
of your own interpretive work, in realms of narrative analysis, as a
reader of another's story/what's your story?
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu