Re(2): Re(2): Re(2): Re(2): the whiteness of middle class play

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 15:18:47 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>If it is your position that the Pokemon phenomenon is "representative of a
>particular white/straight/middle class infatuation with normal/domination
>with normal/domination " then give some good argument to show that to be
>the case. You haven't done that so far. You started out saying "only
>white
>middle class kids play this" then when Eugene said, "no that's not true"
>you
>said "oh then all these other kids are being tricked into accepting
>"white,
>male, middle class ideas." This is pretty slippery isn't it.

i'm an idiot, admittedly, to pursue this, but i believe i asked "who"
plays the game,
as it seemed to be a pretty=white discourse,
and then thankfully eugene and others referenced cross-racial/class/gender
boundaries -

i think nate and phil graham have pretty much clarified the foundational
critique of capitalism,
and that is pretty much where i am speaking from.
that i see capitalism in contexts of identity is just my take on the thing
(see gayle rubin, 1974, "The traffic of women", for example;
or Donna Landry and Gerald McLean (1994) _Materialist feminsims_)

this stuff, to me, rewrites bodies-in-relations to culture,
and to study it as some kind of innocent or alien-child play is to redraw
the lines
that roussault drew when he explained the difference between sophie and
the boy-child
he (wasn't!) eroticizing -

it isn't a "trick" paul - it's called ideological dominance - see
Althusser, (1977)
or Dorothy Smith (1988) _The everyday as problematic"

or dorothy smith (1990) _conceptual practices of power_

or dorothy smtih (1998) _writing the social_

or re-read pw graham's take on the phenom, or re-read nate's take on the
phenom,
-

the idea here is that ideology underwrites us _all_ -
the moment when uncritical acceptance and curiosity overrides what Hume
called "moderate sceptisicm"
we are all suspect,
as we answer to /thrive in/ reproduce/ are reproduced through/ kinds of
institutional practices/discourse,

and the moment we _can't_ see how capitalism works,
we are simply feeding the machine with more, er, manure.

i just can't take this stuff seriously - it's merely more crap, to me,
we disagree,
that's fine.
you win - i just can't play.

diane

   ' 'We have destroyed something by our presence,' said Bernard, 'a
world perhaps.'
     (Virginia Woolf, "The Waves")

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, vancouver / university of colorado, denver

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu