Re: pocket monsters

From: Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 04 1999 - 08:25:35 PST

Jay writes:
>What I'd like to know more about are the processual and temporal
>dimensions
>of the Pokemon culture. Seems pretty clear that the objects-with-meanings
>mediate the linkages of events into longer term processes, along with the
>body-feeling about these objects and the enfolding activities
>(heterochrony). But what are these processes? how do kids 'get into'
>Pokemon over hours, days, weeks? How do Pokemon groups develop and evolve
>new strategies and practices for using/playing Pokemon? over days, weeks,
>months, longer?

a couple of months ago, my 12-yr old asked me to take him to the local
pokemon playing league. he had found out about it from surfing the web. it
took us some time to accomplish the because the web listed the main office
of the local comic book store chain, and not the store that actually
sponsors the league.
i think he was mostly motivated by the desire to trade cards with a larger
group (increasing his chances to find the card of the moment). he had to
make phone calls to stores to get times and directions. this was a major
accomplishment for him, he is shy and the youngest, and not usually very
assertive. but he was hightly motivated.
when we finally got this arranged and i drove him to the store, i don't
know what he was expecting, but he was not prepared for what we found. i
was picturing something like a chess tournament and it wasn't too
different.
a large area of the comic book store was set aside for the pokemon league.
there were large bare tables set in several rows, about 12 of them. kids
were sitting at the tables, playing the game across the table. kids were
standing in line at the counter where a man was supervising trades,
purchases, and stamping kids' pokemon books. there were some adults
(parents i think) sitting and watching, a couple were actually playing the
game. it was very noisy with the sounds of excited playing and trading. i
was also struck by the locker room smell. my son headed across the room
and into the part of the store where there were shelves and racks of comic
books, toys, and t-shirts.
he wanted to go home.
i encouraged him to look around for a while since we were here.
he watched the pokemon activity for while as he wandered the aisles.
he finally decided that he wanted to see what cards they were selling and
so entered the noisy, smelly area and looked through the binders and cases
of cards. other kids would look over his shoulder and make comments about
the cards. he started talking with them. i stood in line with him to get
the attention of the adult behind the counter who explained the rules and
the purpose of the books (kids earn 2 points for winning a game, 1 point
for playing, 1 point for trading) and we looked around for an opening so
my son could play. another boy was standing near with his dad and the dad
and i actually arranged the first game between the kids.
after that, my son was on his own and doing fine.
he went 2 times a week for a month or so. it seems that he's lost interest
in the league, but it may be because they never have the "badges" that
kids get when they earn enough points.
the rarity of certain artifacts is a delicate balance. kids have to
believe they have a chance of obtaining them.
like winning the lottery.

kathie

start all over.
start all over.
we need to make new symbols,
make new signs,
make a new language,
with these we'll redefine the world
and start all over.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^tracy chapman:new beginning
Katherine_Goff@ceo.cudenver.edu
http://ceo.cudenver.edu/~katherine_goff/index.html