Re(2): waiting to exhale/development questions

Diane Hodges (dhodges who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 10:22:37 -0700

many thanks for the elaboration -

xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu writes:

>DEVELOPMENT and UNDERDEVELOPMENT are words witch points to concepts
>related to specific networks of meaning and sense frameworks:
>NEGOTIATION is the key-word to explicitate its use.

here, i suppose, is another site of cultural assumption - the concept of
'negotation'
being another somewhat benign & neutral pretense of what is involved in
the interactions of what might be generative or productve, but is

often highly restrained/contained; where the work of 'negotiating' is also
an activity of persuasion for control, 'this' meaning having more cultural
weight
than 'that' meaning; or 'my' understanding being more 'true' than your
meanings -

the assumptions that negotiations are shared, even, are dubious, since so
many
interactions depend upon power inequalities, and the negotiating is not
actual but
supposed... or inferred, when - as with kids who learn how to "answer"
adults - there is little
room for negotiating classroom discourse, but kinds of generative
processes are underway
nonetheless,
learning how to 'act' in contexts of power inequalities...

>It scares me a lot when I hear statements on development as it was
>something universal, as to say "euro(pe)centric", not considering
>multiple perspectives of seeing things, or different cultural kinds of
>thinking, praxis and believes.
>
>I'm not saying that was Jay's discourse case or inttention. My querry
>was in order to call some attention to the "Other" (Lacan's) or "others"
>(Wallon's/Bahktin's)involved in such a interdisciplinaire and
>multicultural forum like XMCA. Or, in other words, "to put some wood on
>fire", to ask for some problematization of the words
>DEVELOPMENT/UNDERDEVELOPMENT use in academic discourse.

- what are the understandings here of terms such as 'generative' or
'productive' instead of development
or 'underdevelopment' (an oxymoron? can such a thing exist? isn't that
like suggesting that 'no learning' takes place?)

many thanks
diane

' 'We have destroyed something by our presence,' said Bernard, 'a
world perhaps.'
(Virginia Woolf, "The Waves")

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, vancouver / university of colorado, denver

Diane_Hodges who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu