Re(2): queers/gender/appropriation

Diane Hodges (dhodges who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 18:26:04 -0700

xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu writes:

>>appropriating a gender identity involves a cultural context of approval -
>>any gender identity that resists misogyny is the work of
>>internalizing a gender identity and invariably involves a context of
>>resistance.
>>cripes dude.
>>
>>diane
>
>now that's interesting: internalization as deliberate work; appropriation
>as out-of-awareness. j

isn't it utterly queer? all of us, i am sure, have known queers who have
mastered the straight life rather than risk the perils of marginality -
one of the flaws in socioculturalism is the assumption that the concepts
are benign and neutral -

nate's point about appropriation being suspect,
given the cultural biases that thread through practice,
is a good one - in a gender context, and all contexts are gendered,

internalization can be very deliberate, and appropriation can certainly
be unconscious, as we participate in the sway of dominant norms and sexual
assumptions,
acting "as if" in the realms of the ideologies that punish those who
"are not"...

n'est pas?
diane

>Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
>Graduate School of Education
>Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
>10 Seminary Place
>New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183

' 'We have destroyed something by our presence,' said Bernard, 'a
world perhaps.'
(Virginia Woolf, "The Waves")

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, vancouver / university of colorado, denver

Diane_Hodges who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu