Re: November identities

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 07:16:23 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Jay Lemke <jllbc who-is-at cunyvm.cuny.edu>
To: XMCA LISTGROUP <xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 1999 5:25 PM
Subject: November identities

Jay,

On my mind in reading your paper, especially the section on identity, was
the earlier discussions of embodied self, and all the other selves from
Judy's posting. The dynamic, historical "I" has been a reocurring theme is
various literature I have been reading, and it was refreshing to see it
discussed. For example, Fernando Gonzalez Rey critiques Leontiev notion
that personality is an internal "moment" of activity, and argues for a
notion of subjectivity as having its own "ontological" status that seems
very similar to your dynamical "I".

The notion of the historical "I" critiques activity theory on one end, but
also embraces a cultural-historical as apposed to biological, eternal,
universal explanation of that "I" on the other. I would be interested in
how you see the historical, dynamic "I" playing out with the "temporary
me". Since you mentioned Walkerdine, and the paper was about education,
how does this play out not only with internalization being the goal as
apposed to the byproduct, but now identity. I guess this is where I would
seperate Lave and Walkerdine to an certain extent, in that, for Walkerdine
the historical "I", becomes reified as eternal and then becomes a place for
the regulation of pleasure in a "child centered" educational environment.

I guess my question or concern is that you mention the "male" because of
his identity seeks out activities that will further support his identity.
Especially when talking about education it seems it is more about being put
in certain activities rather than seeking them out perse. I just finished
Gaskin's wonderful article on play in a Mayan community, and clearly
knowledge, internalization, learning, and identity are more of a byproduct
than a specific goal of the activity setting. While your argument that what
is going on is identity from the student's perspective is appealing, I am
still left wondering what this means in an activity setting that approaches
such things as learning or internalization as goal or object, rather than a
byproduct. Is identity seen in the same "problem space" as knowledge or
internalization or is it seen as "romantically" good? My "reading" of Lave
is more on the romantic end, where as, I see Walkerdine on the "problem
space" end.

/\ / /\ | /-----
/ \ / /__\ ---|--- /---

Nate Schmolze
http://www.geocities.com/~nschmolze/
schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu

"Pedogogics is never and was never politically indifferent,
since, willingly or unwillingly, through its own work on the psyche,
it has always adopted a particular social pattern, political line,
in accordance with the dominant social class that has guided its
interests".

L.S. Vygotsky