Re: development question

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:37:33 -0500

My inclination is that Elkind is a child centered humanist (the art) that
attempts to validate that view through development as universal and
cultural bias free (the science). In addition to Piaget, he has also
incorporated a lot of Vygotsky or at least sees the debate between these
two theorists. For example, in one of his videos after introducing various
educational theorists, he spends the majority of his presentation on the
developmental ideas of Vygotsky and Piaget.

The comment, while provoking is logically safe, because by definition if it
is not universal it is not developmental. As a humanist, if its Piaget's
emphasis on constructive activity or Vygotsky's emphasis on play, Elkind
sees them very much as universal, natural aspects of childhood. As
Greenfield, in MCA v.6 # 2, implicitly hints at it takes capital or
historical change for this natural child to be found. The Mayan
mother/daughter interactions in the first generation research in some ways
challenge the universal view, yet when capital is introduced the natural
child, or myth of, which is consistant with developmental perspectives
emerge. For me, Gaskins response was real useful, because the narrative I
got from Greenfield was that somehow the natural, developmental child was
tied to capital in a rather direct unquestioned way.

In general, I would see Elkind as argueing for a natural, universal child
which goes through developmental stages in a predictable way, and culture
either supports the natural order of things (2nd generation Greenfield
research) or distorts it in fundamental ways (1st generation Greenfield
research). In contrast to Elkind, I would see "development" as having a
cultural bias at its core which for me was apparent in the Greenfield
piece.

Another approach, which I generally see CHAT pointing to, is the material,
contextual or activity situatedness of mind or "development" (change or
transformation) in which rather than taking similarity (accross cultures)
as its basis, focuses on difference of mind (within activity, culture etc.)
in its own right without incorporating the pathology of development. From
Mike's comments on Artin's book, which I have put my order in, my
inclination is the book takes the discussion in this direction.

/\ / /\ | /-----
/ \ / /__\ ---|--- /---

Nate Schmolze
http://www.geocities.com/~nschmolze/
schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu

"Pedogogics is never and was never politically indifferent,
since, willingly or unwillingly, through its own work on the psyche,
it has always adopted a particular social pattern, political line,
in accordance with the dominant social class that has guided its
interests".

L.S. Vygotsky