Re: question on class

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:07:16 -0500

I was not referring to this in reference to Marx, but rather how class in
usually discussed. It is normally discussed in my experience as a deviation
from the norm which I take as middle class.

Its one thing to say class relations "seem to be necessarily fundamental to
the development of a child's concept of self and others as well as of the
world into which s/he aspires" it is an entirely different matter of how we
look at that internalization. In a country like the U.S. this
internalization tends to be looked at something that is negative, abnormal,
in need of being fixed as apposed to having value in its own right.

Nate