Re: question on class

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 19:14:35 -0500

Paul,

As for Vygotsky, In Child Psychology of his collected works he deals with
class in a little more depth. The context is mostly a critique of Piaget
and others in their strong middle class bias in regard to research. My
understanding was that he was calling for research that took class as more
central. In *Psychology of Art*, an earlier piece, his description of
social psychology seemed to point toward a psychology that could by pass
ideology (class).

As far as CHAT, if she can be considered a part of, I am finding Walkerdine
emphasis on class very influential. What I am finding interesting in this
regard is Walkerdine, Nik Rose, Foucault and others considered "posts"
seemed to have a strong emphasis on class. Let us not forget that Foucault
in Dicipline and Punish quoted Marx on several occasions. What is
interesting is that in their migration to the U.S. their emphasis on class
seems to be qualified as "structural" something to move beyond.

I am currently reading *Daddy's Girl* by Walkerdine and in my view class is
very central. Also her critique of "child centered pedogogy" in *The
Mastery of Reason* it was very much situated as "bourgeois' society where
class took on central importance. Nik Rose work on govermentality puts
forth a similar analysis. What is frustating me terribly at this moment is
how that aspect of their work is somehow secondary and they are simply
deconstructing without a social consciousness.

Class tend to be defined as something lacking content or in the negative
rather than the positive. This is difficult for me because its a big
aspect of my subjectivity especially since entering the middleclass domain
of higher education. Is that subjectivity merely a false consciousness or
is their content there. There seems to be important bourgeois tools
involved that I don't want to or have my children denied of, yet I also
don't want to lose my consciousness in the process. If its simply false the
solution lies in appropriating a bourgeois conscious, but if there is
content it becomes a little more difficult. I see Walkerdine pointing
toward the latter.

Nate