Re: at risk

Marc Camras (mcamras who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu)
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:00:51 -0700 (PDT)

Jennifer-

I do not have an answer to your question, but am inclined to believe that
it does have somethng to do with raising individualism to a religion and
giving it so much cultural value. Trying to incorporate doing things for
the "we" rather than the "I" is a major uphill battle given the structural
factors with which educators must contend. Testing, grades, etc.. is not
about what we do as a group for each other to better our joint selves.
This is why I like the approach many of us share which is to look at the
social world as it engages the individual rather than focus solely on what
happens to the individual.

marc