Re: social promotion, several unrelated comments

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 07:15:00 -0500

Eugene,

Of course your correct, there are many reformers out there who do not
support testing or standards. The question I ask is what are standards and
testing aiming to fix and where did the need that something needed to be
fixed come from? It is in this sense the failure of our teachers, schools,
and institutions have a common language. Enough of those actors can get
around the notion of standards and testing to form a coalition that appears
it can address the diversity of concerns.

The larger point was not that everyone supports standards and testing, but
it goes deeper than the manipulation of the right. SOE have been big
players not only in the construction of the need schools are sites of
failure, but in the standards and tests themselves. Maybe that's the way
it will always be, the progressive, left, critic creating this need that
schools are totalizing insitutions and need to be reformed, yet while we
form our arguments, the powers that be gather support for simplictic
solutions.

TIMSS is a case in point, it put forth a notion of "teacher failure" in
that teachers relied excessively on "teacher dominated" interaction. As we
know all to well it became an artifact that was a rallying cry for "teacher
failure" not less teacher dominated interactions. Maybe this goes back to
the notion of a fractured left, while we come up with and defend our
theories, critiques, or projects, the powers that be put forth a vision of
public education that's anything but promising.

nate