Re(2): school retention

Phillip White (Phillip_White who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:40:31 -0600

Paul wrote:
xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>Phillip,
>
>The strategy,
>
>> i think it is best done with in the smallest unit of
>> activity in which retention might occur - first the classroom, then
>the
>> school, then the school district, etc.
>
>Seems to make perfect sense but doesn't the power flow in the opposite
>direction?

i understand power as situated, rather than a stream, a foucaultian
notion, and that the individual is always in a position to exercise
degrees of power - retention proceedings usually begin with the teacher,
though sometimes with the parent. an interesting study out of Boulder
indicated that the more rigid a teacher's beliefs were, the greater the
chance of a child being retained.

complain about bad situations, my next step is one of, i hope,
compassionate curiosity. and i don't know if this step is the step of a
teacher so much as it is the step of one caring human being for the plight
of another caring human being. for a child to learn - for anyone to
learn, even a phd candidate - the environment needs to be nurturing and
supportive - what Krashen refers to as the affective filter - where the
learner feels safe.

phillip