RE: social promotion, several unrelated comments

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at udel.edu)
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 16:46:47 -0400

Hi everybody--

I think that Nate's keen observation reveals differences in goals among
school reformers who argue for educational equity. Some people (e.g.,
Delpit) see the problem of current educational inequity in
overrepresentation of minority kids and kids from poor families among school
underachievers. They would seem to be happy if all social groups would fail
equally frequent (or equally rare). This group of reformers does not want to
fundamentally change the institution of school as a competitive place for
students but rather wants to provide "equal opportunities" for the
competition.

The other group of reformers (e.g., McDermott, Heath) is concerned with any
student being failed and what to eliminate failure from the
institutionalized education. They want to make fundamental
reforms/transformations of school institution to eliminate the competition
among the students when academic success of one student is failure of
another, when educational goal implies and constructs failure (like in the
case of standards). There may be other groups of reformers (some of which
even would deny the notion of "reform" all together).

What do you think?

Eugene