Re: social promotion, several unrelated comments

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
26 Sep 1999 14:58:18 -0000

1. Nate's analysis seems right on the nub to me.

2. Paul, you wrote:

>Even in the traditional schooling model it would require a lot
>more teachers and, as you probably know very well, teaching in this country
>isn't a career that generates a lot of

In my experience as a teacher educator, students entering our new 5-year
program are brighter, more enthusiastic, more 'hip' about schooling than
most students in the old program were. So maybe the standards push IS having
a beneficial effect on public schooling, by raising professional standards
as intended and thus raising the status of teachers. (yes, sure, there's a
long row to hoe in the wider culture for teaching to spark the excited
conversation at cocktail parties that it does in teacher prep classrooms,
but there IS a light on the horizon - imho at the moment.)

3. Philip, I tried to send a message to your personal email a few days ago
Phillip_White who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu
but it bounced. any idea why?

Judy

At 06:55 AM 9/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>XCMA,
>
>I think where retention has its logic is in the system aspect. In
>statistics one often takes out the "outliners" because they may give a
>false impression of the mean. In education its similar, if we see the mean
>as the area where instruction and curriculum is directed at. It is not so
>much the fact that research has ever demonstrated that retention works on a
>student level, but rather its use or perceived benefit is on the
>curricular, classroom level. If we have students (outliners) either below
>or above the mean by a significant margin that is bound the impact
>instruction and curriculum in fundamental ways.
>
>Now, with new standards that mean is being increased even more as Ken
>points out (70% and above) which of course will give us more outliners and
>retention being seen as the likely option. I don't think the reasoning is
>one where a student will perform better in a grade two classroom in
>contrast to a grade three, but simply like a "researcher" a desire to get
>rid of the outliners in the sample or classroom.
>
>It is not so much the value of retention but the lack of other options. We
>do have compulsary schooling so the students have to be somewhere and
>retention or segregating students in special education are the only viable
>options. Its not a question if retention or special education actually
>help students learn, but rather the function it serves for the system. With
>the desire to increase standards other measures have been applied such as a
>nationally acclaimed "community of learners" school in our district.
>Scores are up, but what they don't tell you is there was a 5 year reform
>program where the district was lobbied and boundries redrawn to get the
>outliners out of the school (students of color and poverty).
>
>I don't know where this lead us, but asking the question if it helps the
>learner or not does seem too limiting. Highstakes testing is bound to
>motivate changes on a systematic level where districts are redrawn
>(resegregating schools), more pull out programs, and greater retention.
>Focusing on questions such as should we hold kids back? Pull them out of
>the classroom? Resegregate our schools? misses the larger issue, in my
>view, of how standurdized tests and the high stakes involved make answering
>these questions in the affirmitive the likely outcome.
>
>Nate

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183