Re(2): social promotion

Phillip White (Phillip_White who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:41:24 -0600

xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu writes:
Charles writes:

>Not knowing anything about the research on retention (other than what I've
>read on this listserv), I'm curious if any suggestions have been offered
>that involves neither retention nor social passing, but still helps high
>school students reach a minimum level of whatever it is that they should
>reach.

i've taught in public schools for twenty-eight years - discussion about
what to do with the child who needs additional support is always framed
around budget issues. if the question is framed around funding a football
stadium or educating children who need support, the football stadium gets
built. at least in my neck of the woods.

the most expensive private school in the Denver metro area makes sure
that classes are no larger than 12 or 13.

people with money _know_ that small classes and individual attention
makes a difference.

public schools will never be funded at such levels since large numbers of
public schools are attended by students of populations that have
historically been marginalized economically and educationally.

i have taught in a school where the parents yearly raised funds of
$36,000 and distributed them amongst the classroom teachers.

i now teach in a school where the yearly funds raised by the parents
hover around $600. as a result the financial demands on the students my
present school are greater than the previous school, yet this school
population has less resources.

and we also have lower test scores.

in the previous school my students had very high test scores.

in this school my students have some of the lowest test scores in the
district.

i guess i'm just a lousy teacher.

phillip