Re(2): Re(2): social promotion

Phillip White (Phillip_White who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:31:26 -0600

xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu writes:
Paul writes:

> I haven't read the research on retention
>outcomes but I'm wondering how it addresses the issue of graduating high
>school seniors read at the eighth grade level?

you've probably read Ken Goodman's posting by now. the research is a
very interesting read - especially when the researcher has a political
ax to grind.
> It would seem that a lot of
>the pressure to "hold back" comes from the political focus on "failing
>schools" where the failing schools are precisely those that promote
>students who haven't received passing grades in the prior level.

this is a possible answer - i always wonder who benefits from this
question and who is marginalized with the answer.

>As to local knowledge, I, as anyone coming from a sociological rather than
>a traditional psychological perspective might ask: whose local knowledge?
>the school boards? the locat teachers' union? the parents (PTA or
>otherwise)? the students?? Forces exist that want to block reform simply
>because it goes against the image of what was going on in previous
>decades,
>generations (even centuries if we establish our models on ancient
>academies). Their banner: "If it worked for us . . . etc."

i like these questions a lot - and as i stated above, who benefits from
the questions and who is marginalized with the answer.

my position is that teachers are all too often left with an option of
retention or special education placement, precisely because, as Nate
points out, money is not spent for other resources. and even the
argument, as Ken pointed out, against retention is still argued through
cost - rather than what the affect is on the child -

what would your questions look like if they were framed so that the child
is best supported?

phillip