Re: on behalf of robert - reconnection

Victoria Yew (v.yew who-is-at edfac.usyd.edu.au)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:08:14 +1000

Mike, I was send the following mail,
"Victoria, I would like to reconnect but I do not remember how to do it and
I cannot
seem to get access to the webpage either. Unfortunately I had just posted
something before I was disconnected and I never got the responses to my
posting. Is there any way other than the archives to retrieve these

Could you help her?

Regards, Victoria

At 05:01 PM 22/09/99 -0700, you wrote:

>We still have a clever little gremlin or two running around deleting
>names and adding names to xcma on an as-yet-to-be-figured-out-basis.
>Robert's address was eaten by a gremlin, or his "send" ability, so
>he sent me this message which I pass along to you-all. Local gremlin
>exterminator, bjones, has fixed robert's account.
>
>thanks bj
>mike
>----
>To: xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu
>Subject: Alternative definitions of educational success
>
>I was excited to read today's postings by Bill Penuel and Genevieve
>Patthey-Chavez.
>Bill wrote:
> I believe we have a responsibility to contribute to the debate
>constructively by explaining to parents and community folks at every
>opportunity to get that there are other places to get answers to their
>question--other sources of evidence that their own children are learning
>something significant, and then to provide some examples of that in our
>communities.
>And Genevieve wrote:
> I want to go beyond lamentations &
>hand-wringing about educational policy. The problem
>for me has been how to work with, well, other
>bureaucrats as well as teachers, students, and all the
>good people that affect the actual delivery of
>education in one specific place (my version of think
>globally, act locally).
>
>These concerns mesh well with my thinking about the potential of
>sociocultural theories of human development to contribute to the reform or
>enhancement of public education in Africa. The following abstract
>summarizes my argument in a forthcoming chapter:
>
>The narrowing staircase model of schooling, which increasingly receives
>legitimation from an international prototype of Institutionalised Public
>Basic Schooling (IPBS), rests on the concept of an age-graded curriculum.
>This curricular concept arose from a particular set of socio-historical
>conditions that included both cultural and economic constraints. I argue
>that it is flawed as a strategy of pedagogical support for personal
>development, and I suggest an alternative, more gradual, multidimensional,
>and expansive conception of individual development. Secondly, I argue that
>the narrowing staircase model is applied in many third world countries in
>an extractive manner that works against the principle of local
>accountability in both the economic and the cultural sphere.
> In place of this culturally alienating and economically
>disempowering strategy, I suggest that public schooling in Africa could
>learn from several other types of educational endeavor, in which the
>organisation of opportunities for learning is better attuned to a set of
>principles that conform with the conception of personal development as a
>socioculturally situated process. These principles include individualising
> [...]
Victoria Yew
Doctoral Candidate
School of Educational Psychology, Literacies & Learning
Faculty of Education (A35)
University of Sydney
NSW 2006
AUSTRALIA
Telephone : (02) 9351 6326/ International +61 2 9351 6326
Fax : (02) 9351 2606 / International +61 2 9351 2606
E-mail : v.yew who-is-at edfac.usyd.edu.au