Re: Personal mails, practice and identity in XMCA

Victoria Yew (v.yew who-is-at edfac.usyd.edu.au)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:47:01 +1000

Dear XMCA

thanks for all your really interesting responses ... still pondering over
them.

Judy wrote:
>Hi, Victoria - Like everyone else I've known, I like very much to discuss my
>own work :)

Meanwhile, Judy, once I get down to reading it, I'll be talking to you about
your paper. No doubt, I wish I could have 48 hours in a day. Then again,
perhaps not, since I might have to work 30 hours or more.

>Yes, I think transference is a mimetic function, but then, to be honest, I
>don't know what I'm talking about. (I talk about it because I want to think
>about it but I need time that I don't have to do that)

No worry, my guess is that not knowing what we are talking about and yet
assuming an articulation in response to something is a way of participation.
Like a Vygotskian notion of speaking aloud, before internal speech sets in.
Dont we all experience that, especially as a newcomer to any arena/topic/COP
etc.

>I strayed. Did Bill Penuel recommend any readings in backchannel to you?
>Bill, can you post any references you might have for Victoria on the list?

Dont get me wrong. I certainly like the "straying" in
conversations/multilogues. Creates added colours! In any case, thanks for
the reminder you posted. Nope! I'll still waiting for some help on those
references. Any takers? Please!

Cheers
Victoria

Victoria Yew
Doctoral Candidate
School of Educational Psychology, Literacies & Learning
Faculty of Education (A35)
University of Sydney
NSW 2006
AUSTRALIA
Telephone : (02) 9351 6326/ International +61 2 9351 6326
Fax : (02) 9351 2606 / International +61 2 9351 2606
E-mail : v.yew who-is-at edfac.usyd.edu.au