Re: personals, practice, genre, feeling, blocking

Paul Dillon (dillonph who-is-at northcoast.com)
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 08:09:43 -0700

Nate,

Community currencies are perfectly legal. Lewis Solomon, professor emeritus
of law at George Washington University has written the most comprehensive
study of the relevant law. With respect to the WTO and the questions
concerning how it fits into globalization, you're absolutely right but I
don't think the powers that be are paying any attention to these systems
right now, except in a few, regional cases. Who notices the first few
gnats that fly in the house early on a summers evening. At present there
are thousands of systems world wide but they only account for a fraction of
a percent of trade in most systems, some places they have a lot more
presence but those are exceptional cases. However, a recent model that
links businesses to local non-profits (called Community Way) has the
potentiality to break through into a more sizeable percentage of local
exchange. How much really depends on the amount that what I call
"microregional production-consumption circuits" account for in terms of the
total area product. Nevertheless, the internet based Multiple Registry
Systems for LETS have the possibility to link community currencies in
different localities allowing something of inter-regiona trade to occur.
The general tenor of the community currency movement is resistance to the
community destroying aspects of globalization. It's a very interesting and
international movement. The IMF doesn't dig it at all when it moves to
larger frameworks. There are incredible cases, such as the Argentine state
of Cordoba which created a regional currency when IMF/World Bank- imposed
policies dried up all the available "internationally backed" currency.
Everyone was fully able to keep working, avoiding the hypocritical
"austerity policies" used to pump surplus value out of dependent countries.
Hell, what are people going to do? They're producing the goods and have
the skills needed to maintain a livelihood and some international agency is
going to deprive them of the ability to exchange because it would upset the
conditions for maintaining corporate domination of the world economy??? As
the Vancome lady on Mad TV might say, "Chaa, think again monopoly man, don't
believe we need the latest little commodity to live a meaningful life in our
neck of the woods." Cholo mechanics, the bricolage of the poor, keep cars
running for a really long time, even in the absence of the means to "buy
from the factory."

Almost all of the good material on community currencies is available through
the internet. The Schumacher Foundation's (Small is Beautiful) home page is
a good place to start a search if you're interested.

Paul H. Dillon