Re(2): Silent participation

Konopak (jkonopak who-is-at ou.edu)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:08:52 -0500

At 11:46 AM 9/10/99 -0600, you wrote:
>xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>>A couple of metaphorical thoughts on participation, safety, and silence
>>occurred to me.
>>
>>Isn't the oven an appropriate place for half-baked bread?
>>
>>Is an oven in which the temperature can't be controlled a good place to
>>bake
>>bread?
>
> so i wonder, Paul, are you suggesting that the metaphor is
>inadequate?
>
> or, are you wondering about how to control the temperature? how
>could you write warm posting?
>
> or, are you suggesting that xmca is an oven where in the
>temperature can't be controlled?
>

>hmmmmmmmmmmmm. clarification?

in merrie olde england, ca. 7th-8th century, the word "hlaf" meant "loaf"
as in loaf of bread

it was used metaphorically (synechdochaically?) to condense into the name
of its single most important product all the means of production that were
necessary, during that epoch, to make possible the growing of enough grain
to predictably and hence the manufacture of bread.

"Hlaford" was the name which denoted the protector of the loaf...this later
became "lord."
"Hlaefdige", precursor of "lady," meant "kneader of the loaf"
(which reminds me everytime i think of it of the double entendre of
jellyroll in jazz blues idiom)

i dont know what the contemporaneous cognate for "oven" is...